1) Treatments Involving Heat (Bikram Yoga) Show Promise For Alleviating Depression “Antidepressants have limitations. Not all patients respond to them or can tolerate the side effects. Alternatives, such as Bikram yoga, “may be more feasible and more acceptable for a lot of patients,” said David Mischoulon, M.D., Ph.D, A Psychiatrist at Massachusetts General Hospital. 2) … More Is Bikram Yoga an alternative in treating depression? AND more on Best 5 Tuesday Reads
1) Dramatic Rise in Suicide-Related Visits at Children’s Hospitals The percentage of children and adolescents presenting at US pediatric hospitals for suicidal ideation (SI) or suicidal attempts (SAs) doubled from 2008 to 2015, new research shows. On reading this study, Dr. Cora Collette Breuner, MD, MPH, a prominent pediatrician, urged clinicians “not to be bummed … More Dramatic Rise in Suicide Related Visits at Children’s Hospitals AND more on Best 5 Monday Reads
Following the Netflix release of 13 Reasons Why i 2017, many mental health, suicide prevention, and education experts from around the world expressed a common concern about the series’ graphic content and portrayal of difficult issues facing youth. Resources and tools to address these concerns were quickly and widely disseminated in an effort to help … More 13 Reasons Why Toolkit
1) Iowa Mental Health Law Fills Residential Treatment Gap House File 2456 (HF 2456) provides for six mental health “access centers” offering immediate short-term crisis care, 22 Assertive Community Treatment Teams, and the development of intensive residential service homes, among other provisions. What is the current state of mental health provision in the state of … More “Iowa Mental Health Law Fills Residential Treatment Gap” AND more on Best 5 Sunday Reads!
1) Resistance Exercise Cuts Depressive Symptoms “The available empirical evidence supports m that “Resistance Exercise Training”RET may be an effective alternative or adjuvant therapy for depressive symptoms,” lead author Brett Gordon. What is Resistance Exercise Training? Resistance exercise is any form of exercise that forces your skeletal muscles (not the involuntary muscles of your heart, … More Resistance Exercise Cuts Depressive Symptoms AND more on Best 5 Saturday Reads
1) Surgeon General Urges More Americans to Carry Naloxone The U.S. Surgeon General issued a public health advisory for the first time in more than a decade in which he urged more Americans to carry a medication that can reverse the effects of opioid overdoses. But the prohibitive cost of the two consumer-friendly forms of … More Surgeon General Urges More Americans to Carry Naloxone AND more on today’s Best 5 Friday Reads
Is it a disorder to be diagnosed, or an experience to be celebrated? To know more about this paradox and brief history of Autism, read the article here. What’s your opinion on this paradox readers? Looking forward to read your comments.
Hello there! Today we will be talking about National Institute of Health (NIH)’s allocation of 1.1 billion dollars to tackle opioid crisis, How to prevent suicide deaths among US army soldiers, How your mind under stress, gets better at processing bad news. In addition, we will also be discussing prevalence of depression in patients seeking … More NIH to Put $1.1 Billion Toward Tackling Opioid Crisis AND more on Best 5 Thursday Reads!
I read an interesting opinion article titled “Does Psychiatry Need Rebranding” and I thought I will share the keypoints and get your input from you guys. The opinions were given by Dr. Stephen Strakowski, founding chair of the Department of Psychiatry at the Dell Medical School of Austin, Texas. The doctor is of opinions that: … More Does Psychiatry Need Rebranding?
Hello! Today we will discussing the importance of taking psychiatric history from pregnant women, side effects of antipsychotics in pregnant women, dangers of so called “technotherapy”, A story on importance of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and more! 1) Familiality of Psychiatric Disorders and Risk of Postpartum Psychiatric Episodes: A Population-Based Cohort Study Family history of psychiatric … More “It is what it is” is this phrase a great psychology power tool? AND more on Best 5 Tuesday Reads